Our Mission: To raise awareness among Asheville area citizens about the challenges we face from peak oil, climate change and economic instability, and to help create a resilient, sustainable and re-localized community and economy.
- Expand awareness of climate change and global resource depletion.
- Support the creation of smaller action groups which will focus on particular areas of interest and initiate positive, visible projects.
- Engage our community in energy descent action planning, looking at such areas as food, transportation, energy generation and distribution, and health and wellness care.
- Seek partnership with the many like-minded Asheville organizations, institutions, and agencies that are already working to move our community towards greater resilience.
- Recognize and work to change the inequities within our community and embrace the importance of social justice as we negotiate this Transition, determined to include all segments of the population as we move forward.
- Work with public officials to explore sustainability and resiliency efforts on a municipal level. The role we identify for local authorities in this is to support the process, not drive it.